CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Dextron

Dexter, asleep in the car on the way to work.


We got a puppy back in November when he was only 6 weeks old. I had been wanting a puppy for... well for forever... but Joe wasn't so convinced it was a good idea. Eventually I got Joe to agree to let me have a puppy as my Christmas present with the understanding that I would be bringing him to work daily and training him to be a therapy dog. We spent some time hunting through the various local SPCAs to find the perfect pup which proved a little harder than I expected. See... Joe's dream dog is a newfoundland... I mean... really? My dream dog (besides my beautiful rat terrier, Taylor) is a corgi... can you see where there may have been a few disagreements regarding what kind of puppy we wanted? Beyond that, when you're shopping for a puppy through rescue agencies your options are pretty limited. I kind of had to tell Joe we could get a bigger dog in order to get him to even let me think about a puppy... so eventually we found "Big Head Todd." Yes, that was his name. Big Head Todd was part of a litter of about 8 black lab/ border collie puppies. We agreed we wanted a male dog since Tay has had some trouble with girl dogs in the past, and Big Head Todd was the most interesting looking of all the pups. Fortunately, Big Head Todd was spoken for but his brother, Rocky, was available.

Annnyway... we got Rocky, now known as Dexter (yes, he is named after the amazing serial killer Dexter Morgan), at the beginning of November and I started bringing him to work immediately. He settled in really well and was surprisingly calm for a puppy (I worried he had worms but fortunately he was just docile). Now Dex is about 7 months and still sweet as pie. I had him at work today and there was a 2 year old there who was terrified of him. I got him to lay down on the floor on his back and eventually she was giggling while he wagged his tail and his tongue lolled to the side. He's a sweetheart. I was so proud of him when we got home and I told Joe all about it... but then while we were making dinner he started lunging at Taylor and pouncing at her repeatedly. We let him outside to work off some energy and I started hearing weird noises. When I looked out the window I saw Dexter carrying around a large piece of wood from our (unfinished) deck and nearly taking out our grill while prancing proudly. Later I found him with a long piece of black tubing just running back and forth across the yard.

Long story slightly short... Dexter may be as much of a lunatic as his sister Taylor.

0 comments: